Monday, June 17 - Our goal was to get to the Olympic National Park. It's one we haven't been to yet. The weather forecast called for 60% chance of rain Monday and Tuesday and 80% Wednesday. Ft. Stevens SP was the place we picked to hole up during the rainy weather. Thursday's forecast called for sunny skies. We had been to Ft. Stevens before for a LD Get-Together three years ago. This is a very nice park, probably one of Oregon's best. It has 257 sites. Ft. Stevens was built in 1864 to defend the US against the Confederates - like that was going to happen! It was active until after WWII. We went to the beach which has dark grey sand - I like the Gulf Coast beaches a lot better. During Happy Hour a light rain started.
Tuesday, June 18 - Since we were waiting for the 60% chance of rain, we headed to the town of Seaside. Not a very impressive town, but Don did get another pair of croc's. He bought a pair there three years ago. We then returned to Astoria to find a fish & chips place that was recommended. It was closed so we chose another place - Captain D's would have been much better. In the afternoon Don went for a long trike ride. When he returned, I went for a ride. Apparently I was gone a long time, because as I was returning he was in the car to find me. Still waiting for the rain - it's sunny here.
Wednesday, June 19 - Since we were waiting for the 80% chance of rain, we decided to do laundry. We went to the Mini-Mart Laundry. Without a doubt it is the best laundromat we have ever used. An attendant was cleaning washers and dryers after every use, inside and out. And Wednesday was free dry day. The Mini-Mart serves several kinds of coffees and has a very active lunch business. It is a booming business. This was the best day - sunny and warm. We each took another trike ride. Where's the 80% chance of rain.
Thursday, June 20 - This was the day forecast for sunshine. Can't get an accurate weather report here - it changes hourly! We were on the road at 7:45 to get to the Olympic National Park. Where is the sunshine??? We drove in the mist from Aberdeen north to Kalaloch. We hoped to camp at Kalaloch, but we didn't have reservations. Some days you just get lucky. When we reached the CG, the ranger told us that a few sites were open for one night, but could be reserved the next day and we would have to move. We drove through the CG and only a few sites had an ocean view and all were small. The rest were in a dark forest. The ranger suggested that we try South Beach because they don't accept reservations. This is a great place. We are parked on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It's gorgeous and only $5 per night with our old-age passport! We drove to Ruby Beach. It's the one that is photographed to show off this area. When the sun comes out, we will go back.