Saturday, September 8, 2018

Second Rant

This and the last post have been on my mind for several years. Maybe posting my thoughts will put them out of my mind?

My second rant about public lands concerns the self-appointed protectors. Those that want all public land to themselves and who will not share information except with vetted friends. They compound their sense of entitlement by resenting the federal agencies who administer the land. 

So, on the one hand, they will not share information with those that are not physically able to hike with them. These types need constant validation that they can still cut the mustard on the trails and having people with lesser abilities is repugnant to them. All the while they deeply resent park rangers for any restrictions that are placed on them.

We have met a few of these folks over the years. I will home in on a couple in Colorado. We met them through a mutual acquaintance. We wanted to know some Jeep trails that went close to the summits. At the time, Dorothy could hike 2 to 3 miles round turn.

I took maps with me so he could point out trails that would meet our criteria, but on two occasions he declined to respond to my questions.

Reading his blog I later figured out that he would never drive all the way to the trailhead. He would park farther down the mountain so the hike would be more vigorous for him and his wife. That's fine. But, I think selfish of him to require everyone to do it his way or not at all. I suppose it increased his self-esteem.

If you can not handle rock scrambling above 9,000 you are just not worthy of his association.

You have to be able to do this. Even when the snow is above your knees.

Fuck em!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, since you can't seem to let it go, I will point out your distortions and smears:
    No, we are not disabled...yet, tho getting closer with age, and we do like to push our limits on the trail. And yes, it does boost our self esteem that we can still hike and climb some of the mountains we did in our youth.
    Why you single us out as despicable for that I fail to understand. Also, your memory does not serve you well, as when we invited you to our house for snacks and beverages, you asked us about hiking trails, not jeeping trails. We knew Dorthy was dealing with unfortunate health issues and tried to suggest trails that would not stress or be dangerous...something enjoyable that would still get you out into wilderness places. Since we live in Ouray, at the bottom of very steep mountains, most of the trails around here are very steep, and have erosions issues where hikers must do some scrambling. So if it did not seem to you that we were forthcoming with enough suggestions, it was too error on the side of caution not because we are, as you say, "selfish." I mean, really Don, We invited you over, fed you and offered up drinks, suggested the Perimeter Trail and I think a couple others...Ironton, being one of them. As for Jeep Trails to hiking, If that's what you meant, there must have been a misunderstanding.
    As to other reckless accusations that are just not true: Since retirement, Bobbie, with her background in Personal Training and Cardiac Rehab, has worked with people who have unfortunate disabilities... things like MS, crippling Joint Diseases, Heart Disease and so on...FOR FREE. She takes time on hikes and spends time with them as a friend as well as encouraging them to get stronger. She cleans their houses when they fall behind or are not up to do it themselves. She recently cleaned so for a soon to be widow whose husband was dying from cancer, FREE, just to help out.
    It amazes me that you can't let this go, especially since your core beliefs and smears are not based in fact. If it upsets you to read our Blog, please stop. And please stop smearing us on your blog.
    I doubt you have the courage to print this comment...I guess we'll see.
    Mark and Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised you read our blog. Suspect it was pointed out to you. I never said you were disabled.
      I stand by every I word I wrote. No, we stand by it as Dorothy was there also.
      You may not accept it, but you are an elitist.

      Delete