Thursday, February 2, 2012

At The Beach

Thursday, January 26 - We arrived at Mustang Island State Park in Corpus Christi after a few stops.
One of the stops was in Goliad, TX and their courthouse is just gorgeous, probably the most ornate we have ever seen. I don’t see how we can possibly get anything else in the refrigerator.
We eye-balled the mission and presidio in Goliad. Everyone knows about the Alamo, few know about Goliad. Look it up.
The Cope’s told us about a grocery store that was a “must” in Beeville, TX, so we stopped and bought a delicious steak and some barbecue sandwiches.  Also, Ruby gave us homemade smoked sausage and organic lettuce plus some sweet tangerines from their tree.
We are parked next to LD friends, Ted & Liz Houghton.  When we arrived they were sitting outside enjoying the warm weather.  As soon as we got set up, we joined them.  The park is really a parking lot with water and electric hookups.  The main thing is sunshine and warm and an easy walk to the beach.  I did a “happy dance”.  Wonderful to sit outside and have cocktails.

Friday, January 27 - After breakfast we took a 1.5 mile hike on the beach with Ted & Liz.  When we got back I felt so good I did another “happy dance”.  We sat outside and read and had cocktails.  It’s a little windy but not bad.
Saturday, January 28 - We went to Port Aransas and took the ferry to Aransas Pass to buy shrimp.  We bought two pounds of large headless shrimp, which we will have for dinner tonight.   Since we were close to Rockport (about 18 miles) we drove to Los Comales Restaurant for lunch.  It was good two years ago and still is.  Next we drove to Ingleside to Grannie’s Tamales.  Of course, we bought more tamales - six with cream cheese and spinach, six with cream cheese and jalapenos and a dozen with pork.  Now the refrigerator is absolutely stuffed.  We have a lot a eating to do now.  It’s much windier today but we hope it is good weather to go to the Star Gazing program on the beach tonight.  The shrimp was delicious and we don’t have any leftovers.  Finally took a pain pill for my foot.
Sunday, January 29 - My foot was bothering me quite a bit last night and I could not stand up to watch the Star Party and today I am definitely staying off of the foot.  We had lunch and were getting ready to nap but I smelled smoke.  About that time Liz came over and said there was a fire, so of course I had to get up and go look.  The grass behind some campers was on fire and some campers had their hose putting it out.  Park rangers arrived and got their shovels and then the fire department came and took charge - lots of water and digging in the sand.  But the fire was very quickly put out, thanks to the quick action of the campers.  I bet someone threw a cigarette out and with the dry brush and wind it spread quickly.
Dinner was a mixture of the tamales and they are very good.  I think my favorite is the cream cheese and jalapenos.  The jalapenos are not hot but just taste very good.
Monday - January 30 - Today was laundry day.  We went to Port Aransas to a very nice Laundromat.  It was quite busy and I am sure everyone in there was RVers.  There was a used DVD store where we bought 10 DVDs for $20.  We watched The Caller but it wasn’t that good - we rate it C/C+.  Photography was A.
Tuesday, January 30 - said goodbye to Ted & Liz this morning.  It has been a very boring day.  We did nothing.  My foot/leg is still bothering me. One good thing is that we get to go to Mission, TX a week early.  We arrive tomorrow and it’s margarita night so hopefully we will get to meet some people there.  And we will be there for the Super Bowl Party.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wonderful blog format! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The total look of your site is fantastic, well as} the content material!
    Bogs Women's Classic Mid Tuscany Rain Boot